Director Justin Lin
About Dom Toretto is living the quiet life off the grid with Letty and his son, but they know that danger always lurks just over the peaceful horizon. This time, that threat forces Dom to confront the sins of his past to save those he loves most. His crew soon comes together to stop a world-shattering plot by the most skilled assassin and high-performance driver they’ve ever encountered — Dom’s forsaken brother.
Where to Watch: Cinemas
- It’s a ‘leave your brain at home’ sort of action movie that requires little effort on your behalf. With 8 previous films, the viewers will know what to expect.
- Tyresse Gibson provides his solid humour as always, but it is Nathalie Emmanuel who really shows her comedy chops in this film. She’s not quite up there with Jason Statham, yet, but she really brought an element of that British humour.
- The cars are still as beautiful as ever.
- John Cena is a welcome addition to the franchise, although I wasn’t too happy with the resolution. It felt devoid of emotion and that clashes with Dom’s belief about family.
- They really missed out on an opportunity with the flash back storyline. I enjoyed that much more than the rest of it and I do feel like there was a whole film there waiting to be made prior to the ‘present day’ story line. Yes, it would have perhaps lacked the star power the franchise perhaps relies on, but the flash backs really did seem at odds with everything else. Split it and make two films and you have the chance to create a film that’s much more in keeping with the earlier films and a palate cleanse for the bat shit crazy hijinks of the universe post-Fast Five.
- Charlize Theron was absolutely wasted in this. As was Helen Mirren and Michael Rooker. All seemed really shoe-horned in to serve the plot at a disservice to the fans.
- It’s about as believable as the UK government. They go to space! Not kidding, they go to fucking space! When you consider the first ever film, you do wonder how we got here. It’s one of those that you just have to accept. Apply logic to it and it will send even the sanest person mad.
- How are these people still alive? While I’m telling you to suspend belief to enjoy the movie, I do not understand how any of these characters have a pulse.
Eh, I don’t think there’s anything I can say to sum it up. Bit too long, but lets face it you’re either going to watch it, or you’re not.