Movie Review- The Meg (2018)
“Just keep swimming”
About: Previously thought to be extinct, a massive creature attacks a deep-sea submersible, leaving it disabled and trapping the crew at the bottom of the Pacific. With time running out, a visionary oceanographer recruits rescue diver Jonas Taylor to save the crew and the sea itself from an unimaginable threat — a 75-foot-long prehistoric shark known as the Megalodon.
Length: 1 Hr 52
- Who doesn’t love a good shark movie? Who doesn’t enjoy the mindless plot of a Jason Statham movie? Put them together and you’ve got an action movie with enough laughs to keep it going.
- It’s plot isn’t as simple as it appears on the outset, which is brilliant for those who worry that its simply rehashing Deep Blue Sea.
- I squealed a little at the arrival of The Office’s alumni Rainn Wilson. While his character is a little bit of a confusion, Wilson’s humour is a welcome addition.
- Ruby Rose and the ‘team’ were underused. Obviously it’s a Statham vehicle, but they just needed a few more scenes and a little more development for me. Especially when you’re needing to feel for them in the final act, it’s hard when you’ve spent zero time connecting with them.
- Part of the charm of this sort of movie is the ‘bad’. This film was actually lacking some of that ‘cringe’ factor that I personally needed. I needed the film to let go just a little and give me more lines like ‘just keep swimming’.
The opening scene felt a little clunky. Okay, Jason’s got PTSD. It could have been done very nicely through flashbacks. I needed something other than a five minute exposition that has me on Jason’s side and thinking everyone else is a dick for not believing him.
I want to doubt him, I want his story arc being me learning that he’s not the alcoholic wreck everyone else sees. It just feels a little too much to have EVERYONE against him when we know what he’s seen.
It’s a brilliant ‘no thought required’ Saturday night movie. You need to check your logic at the door and just go along for the ride. It’s the ideal Statham