Length: 2hr 2
Director: Chad Staheiski
About: Renowned assassin John Wick sets out for Rome to duel with some of the deadliest killers to fulfil a vow he made. However, he soon learns that there is a huge bounty on his head
- The editing of Wick’s visits to the various specialists was quite delightful. Cutting between the three rather than have them chronological, gave it a decent sense of pace. It also allowed for the weaponry sequence to have its comedy diluted enough to fit the tone of the film.
- Much like the first film, I do love the way in which the subtitles are stylised and incorporated into the film.
- Equally I love the almost neo-gothic aesthetic it has going on. It works well in New York and it’s rather perfect for Rome too. Its the aesthetic that makes me so sad that I don’t really like this franchise.
- Matrix reunited! Class bit of casting and nice little call backs in the script. This reunion also comes with my favourite line over the two movies “Somebody please, get this man a gun.” It’s not so much the words, but Fishbuurne’s delivery.
- Who doesn’t put a silencer on their gun for an assassination?! I know Cassian was sent away, but bloody hell it was loud and she should have had guard that would hear it. I know this, and I’m not an expert!
- Going on from that, aren’t all these underground hitmen a bit shit considering the chaos they cause? First film it’s a club, now it’s a high class rave! In fact, considering all the big fight sequences, I don’t think clandestine is a word I’d use for this criminal underbelly.
- Can we please have John Wick talk a little more. I’m so bored of the monosyllabic, dead behind the eyes performance. I know Reeves is capable of much more, but the lack of words gives me the Ted (of the Wyld Stallions) vibe.
- I really struggled with the opening. It was very much geared towards gamers and, at times, felt like actual game play. It also felt like an unnecessary bridge from the first film.
- The trance music is shite! Well, no it’s not in itself. However, as part of this franchise, I’m not so sure it fits.
Its not for me. I understand that they are loved by others, but I can’t see me ever rewatching this.