Thank you so much Tanvi @ A Reader to Whatever End for tagging me for this. She clearly knows me very well because this tag is totally perfect for me – I’m a huge TV buff, I have grown up watching lots of soaps and dramas on television and binge watching is my favorite activity other than reading books. Just go ahead and checkout Tanvi’s blog for more amazing book reviews and other wonderful posts.
I have tried but there is going to be a lot of repetition in my answers below, because I’m very picky and have very few favorite shows and I love binge watching them. So, let’s get started.From https://ksahitya.wordpress.com/about/
I’ve not been tagged. I just found it, liked it, tagged myself!
Hope you enjoy my answers
- Grey’s Anatomy (2005 – Present) I love this show. I can’t explain my reasons, but this show is my life. From the first ‘seriously’ to undoubtedly teary last narration, this is MY show. I’ve even made a tag for the show, which is my top viewed post to date.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997 – 2003)
- Stranger Things (2016 – Present)
- Glow (2017- Present)
- Friends (1994 – 2004)
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993- 1999)
- Doctor Who (1963 – Present)
- Suits (2011 – Present)
- Line of Duty (2012 Present)
- Lucifer (2016 – Present)
Sci-Fi has always been my genre. Crime/procedural dramas come a very close second, but its Sci-fi that has made me who I am today.
Least Favourite Show
- Bojack Horseman
Most Rewatched show/ Favourite show to Binge Watch
- Grey’s Anatomy Every year I start from the beginning and watch all the way through. Most of the time. Sometimes Izzy gets to me and I skip until she’s gone.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Gilmore Girls (2000 – 2007) I’m not sure I like this show all that much, but I find myself binge watching every year or so.
- White Collar (2009 – 2014)
- Stranger Things
- Glow Season two landed on Netflix on a Friday. I put it on with the understanding that I would watch ONE episode… I think it was something like 1am and I’d finished the whole series.
Week-by-week or Binge
It depends. Shows like Line of Duty, Bodyguard and Star Trek Discovery work well as week-by-week as it allows each episode to be thought about and predictions to be made.
However, there are shows that just beg to be binged; whether you want to or not. Netflix shows like Stranger Things and Glow are ones that I binge like hell. Repeatedly.
Favourite TV Character
- Amelia Shepherd; Private Practice (2007 & 2013) & Grey’s Anatomy. An unpopular choice for those who only have Grey’s to go off, but anyone who has seen the younger brain surgeon face her darkest moments in the Kate Walsh spin-off will understand just how much she’s been though.
- Dr Julian Bashir; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Chief Jim Hopper; Stranger Things I don’t think I really need to explain this one.
Favourite TV Ships
- Neal Caffrey and Peter Burke; White Collar This is a total bromance. I love it because it shouldn’t work. Neal’s a conman and Peter’s the man who caught him. However, you just have to watch the emotional exchange in the series one finale to know that these two are soulmates in much the same way as Grey and Yang.
- Jim and Maggie; The Newsroom (2012 – 2014) One of the reasons why The Newsroom ended too soon is the development of Jim and Maggie’s relationship. They’re one of the will they/ won’t they couples, but we never really get the pay off.
- Paul and Hugh: Star Trek Discovery I love these two, mainly for the fact that their sexuality is simply there. It’s not commented upon and it allows for a better and deeper exploration of their characters and relationship.
Shows you Couldn’t Get into
- Black List
- Mr Robot
With both Mr Robot and Dexter, it was about the narration that runs throughout the episodes. I just can’t marry the narrative and the visuals together. It’s a shame because I love both of the main actors.
Shows You Fell Out of Love With
- Lost (2004 – 2010)
- Heroes (2006 – 2010)
- Marvel’s Agents of SHEILD (2013 – Present)
- Supernatural (2005 – Present)
- House (2004 – 2012)
- NCIS (2003 – Present)
- The Big Bang Theory (2007 – 2019)
With all of these shows I lost interest in the stories and, more importantly, the characters. I shed light on Lost and Heroes in my post here.
Cancelled Too Soon
- Selfie (2014)
- Our Zoo (2014) The mini series that looked at the creation and opening of Chester Zoo by the Mottershead family could have easily gone on for a number of series. It was a blow to hear, long after the final episode aired, that there were no plans for a second series.
- Newsroom There’s no denying that I started to watch this show for David Harbour, but I stuck around because the story had me hooked. Much like West Wing, this Sorkin produced drama was drawing from politically and socially prominent stories. I wasn’t ready for the end and I would happily welcome a recommission.
- Pan Am (2011 – 2012) Yup, this show also has David Habour on it’s roster, but I did what the first few episodes back in 2011 when it aired late night on BBC2. This is a show that would have fairedsefore we only have 14 episodes of this wonderfully 60s show.
Guilty Pleasure Show
- Selfie This show was amazing. A modern retelling of My Fair Lady/ Pygmalion with Karen Gillan and John Cho at the helm. Their chemisty and humour make this short-lived so bittersweet. You know Gillan’s Eliza and Cho’s Henry are meant to find each other. Unfortunately time was called on the show early into its run.
- Once Upon a Time (2011- 2018)
- Hex (2004- 2005)
- Switch (2012)
- Grey’s Anatomy
- Miracle Workers (2019)
- The Flash (2014 – Present)
- Arrow (2012 – Present)
- Supergirl (2015 – Present)
- DC’s Legends of Tommorow (2016 – Present)
- Charmed (2018 – Present)
- Star Trek Discovery
- IZombie (2015 – Present)
I’m sure there are others but its hard to think. It’s like naming all of Santa’s reindeer.
Favourite Theme Music
- Crystal Maze
- Grey’s Anatomy
- White Collar
The Characters You Love to Hate
- Jez Heriot and Azazeal; Hex
- Louis Litt; Suits Oh, Louis! There isn’t a character that’s made me facepalm as much as the Suits antagonist. I love him and his annoying over reactions.
Favourite Swan Song Episode
- Hex; S2 Ep13 The Showdown
- Friends S10 Ep17&18 The Last One: Parts 1 & 2
If you’ve gotten this far, consider yourself tagged.
Drop me a message in the comments. Do you agree with any of my choices? Any shows you think I should give a second chance?
Love Han x